Thursday, September 12, 2013

What's with the wipes?


The organic cotton and bamboo terry wipes. Where this whole thing started. They continue to be my top sellers. And I can't seem to stop adding more to my own personal stash for my girls. 


What are they?


70% Bamboo, 28% Organic Cotton, 2% Poly (added for stability of the bamboo) double sided terrycloth. That means it has the loops on both sides (like a bath towel, only thinner). It is Oeko-tex standard 100 certified (What does THAT mean?). Basically it's as safe as possible and even intended to go against a baby's skin. It's buttery soft. You'll want a pillow made out of it. The fabric has a creamy color to it, and is free of dyes and chemicals. The serged edges are 100% polyester thread.



Why do they rock?


It's the softness. It's the premium material. It's the size. It's the fun colors. It's all the different uses!

Feel/Material

Really, you have to feel how soft this is. When I get a new shipment in the mail, I really want to unroll the whole thing and lay down to take a nap on it (but I don't!). If the softness starts to fade wash after wash, but just use a little friendly fabric softener (I like Ecover or Mrs. Meyers) and they are fluffy as new! It's the most delicious fabric ever.

Size

These are cut to 7 inches by 7 inches. This makes a perfect size to fit in a standard wipes warmer or reused disposable wipes case. It's also just the perfect size for only needing one wipe per change (or two for the really big messes).

Colors

When you purchase these wipes, you get to make a selection of boyish, girly, gender neutral, pastel swirl, or primary swirl. There is also a special listing for a "rainbow six pack" which includes one wipe of each rainbow color. If you have a more specific color request, you can always include that in your checkout message. In general (for girly/boyish/neutral), you will receive two colors for a set of six, two or three colors for a dozen, three to four for two dozen. For more than that, please contact me ahead of time so we can discuss preferences.


What do you mean, 'all the different uses?'

Okay, I'll try to list them out, but then someone can come up with another. And another. Seriously, my two year old seems to find a new place for them bi-weekly.

1. Baby wipes. Obviously. The original intent. Replace your disposable wipes with these. Like many things cloth-diaper related, it's a bigger investment up-front, but they pay for themselves QUICKLY. For use as baby wipes, I suggest getting at least three dozen cloth wipes to start. I'd say approximately double the number of diapers you use before washing. Like I said before, usually it just takes one of these for diaper changes. I've gotten it down to only needing two for EXTREMELY messy diapers, and that only happens once or twice a week.

2. Burp rag. Well, they are a little small, it seems, for that. Trust me when I say I have a spitter. Oh! Does she ever spit. Just like her big sister did. But, these little things are thirsty! Maybe that's why I've felt the need to add to my own pile of these so much lately...

3. Washcloth. They are a little thinner than your traditional wash cloth, but these are great for things like baby baths and face washing/make-up removing. Your face will thank you. Really.

4. Toddler messes. Have you started letting your kids feed themselves? It's a disaster. Keep a stack on these close by the high chair. They can replace the paper towels or kitchen towels you'd be using to clean up your budding foodie. Even as my big kid has gotten (only slightly) better at feeding herself, she still likes to use these to clean her face and hands afterwards.

5. Extra diaper booster. When I have a diaper that just isn't quite as absorbent as I need it to be, sometimes I fold one or two of these up to add just a little extra. It's not much, but it can help in a pinch!

6. Family Cloth. Okay, I haven't tried this one. But some of my customers have and love it!

7. Pre-school. I've had schools order specific colors that get designated for specific uses (green for plants, yellow for toys, blue for water...)

8. Toddler play. A baby blanket? (Sure, why not.) Chalk board eraser? (Obviously.) Actually wiping down my baseboards and windows? (Who taught my two year old to clean?)

How do you make them into baby wipes for dirty diapers?


I've done a few different things. When I first started using them, I would keep them dry until use, then spray my little one's bum with California Baby Calming Diaper Area Wash. When my second was a wee newborn, I just filled a squirt bottle with plain water and used that for her. As she grew out of the newborn stage, I started making a wipes solution with some coconut oil, water, witch hazel, and essential oils at the suggestion of a great friend/best customer. I soak them in the mix, wring them out, roll them up, and line them up in my wipes box. I do enough for two days (which is when the next round of diaper laundry starts). You don't want them to sit wet for over four days. Many customers have their own mixtures that they either use in a spray bottle or pre-soak with a wipes warmer. It's up to you!

What about getting them clean?


It's pretty easy to care for these little guys. Wash and dry before your first use. Without that first wash, they will repel water due to the natural oils in the fabric. There will also be a lot of lint the first time or two  as the terry loops from the edges settle. Once they have been prepped and used, wash them with your diaper laundry. Or your regular laundry. Use some natural fabric softeners on them if they aren't as soft as before. Dry them in the dryer on any setting. Or hang them to dry in the sun when they get stained. But hey, let me know if you figure out how to get hot pink chalk to come out of them. That's the one thing I can't seem to eradicate.


  Thanks for hanging out with me, next stop will be the last feature!



 

Where can I get my hands on them?

The "wipes" section of my Etsy store.
A dozen: http://www.etsy.com/listing/113432886/semi-custom-organic-cotton-and-bamboo
A half-dozen: http://www.etsy.com/listing/106892948/organic-cotton-and-bamboo-terry-cloth
Rainbow six-pack: http://www.etsy.com/listing/150985443/organic-cotton-and-bamboo-cloth-wipes

No comments:

Post a Comment