Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Quack quack ducktail, have you any wool?

Yes, sir. Yes, sir. Three bags full (okay, it's more than three bags full. It's a LOT).


 
WELCOME, great cloth diaper hunters! You can start here.

It's getting cooler outside in our corner of the world, so the searches and requests for woolies are increasing daily. I've got my supply, but I'm working on keeping up with the demand :) Soon I will be retiring the custom spots for longies and soakers, but I'll leave the custom send-your-own-wool listing up - this is so that I can ensure that I have enough for my in-stock items and so that I can provide customers with descriptions on each that will be as detailed as possible. But if you're still interested in a custom, you can send in your own and know exactly what wool will be used for your custom-made woolies.



One of a Kind


Each pair of woolies I make is going to be different from any other. There will often be two (or sometimes three) pairs from the same sweater, but even then they will be different. Different sizes, different parts of the pattern or pieces of the sweater. What you see in the pictures of sold orders, or what you see listed, generally will not be able to be replicated in another size or color.



Recycling


I love re-purposing these old sweaters. Every once in a while, some have some imperfections in them, which is maybe why a person has given up their wool. These imperfections in the sweater might be a stain or holes, but I do everything I can to make your woolies without those. Every once in a while, one of those tiny holes might make it past me and into the woolies. I try to disclose this in the listing information, so please read carefully.

When I go looking for wool, I try to find fun and unique pieces that customers will enjoy and that will translate well into baby clothing. Even if I don't have any custom spots open, you can still send me a message with something you'd like to see stocked. Sometimes you'll also see pieces that are mix and match from different sweaters.

After I've made the woolies that I can from a sweater, I add the leftovers to a wool scrap bag, which can also be purchased in my shop. I prefer to keep waste to a minimum, so I hope that someone else can use what's left over. Hooray for more recycling!

Types of Wool


Most of the wool that I use is limited to three different types: cashmere, lambswool and merino. Every so often there might be another kind thrown in there, but those are few and far between.

Even within each type of wool there is a great deal of variation of the texture and weight. I can give a few "general" rules of how each type usually feels, but again, there will be some variation within each category.
  • Cashmere: the softest, often thinner than the others. Some customers prefer this for how soft it is, others steer clear due to its thinness and worry about it not being heavy enough for overnight (I personally have a few cashmere soakers that get used overnight. They are usually damp in the morning, but not soaked - the girls' pjs and sheets are dry)
  • Lambswool: generally the heaviest. Great for overnight. Can become quite thick after felting. Can be itchier than other types of wool, but can also be quite soft - just depends on the sweater. Some customers in warmer climates want to steer clear of lambswool, but others are surprised at how breathable it is.
  • Merino: Somewhere in between Cashmere and Lambswool, but in my experience merino has THE MOST variation from sweater to sweater. Sometimes it feels exactly like a lambswool, other times it feels like a cashmere. Sometimes after felting it feels a little more stiff, other times it's stays super stretchy. Can be great any time. I try to specify in the listing if it's light or if it's thicker.



All of these types are intended to be used as waterproof diaper covers. Some will just be better suited for shorter-term wearing, while others will last overnight. If you've gotten woolies from me that aren't working after lanolizing them, please contact me via your etsy order to let me know. If you'd like more information on taking care of your Ducktail (or any other) wool, check out this post.

Continuous Use


Many people have the idea that wool is only good for in the winter, or that heavier wool can't be used in hot climates. Neither of these are really the case. You can use wool all year long in any type of climate. It's surprisingly breathable while remaining leak-proof. I was a total skeptic when I started cloth diapering, but wool really is fabulous. You might just have to try it to believe!

No comments:

Post a Comment