Monday, June 3, 2013

Wool Care

As a cloth diapering mama who uses wool over fitteds, I searched and searched for the right care instructions for my wool. It was so overwhelming at first, but now that I have my system down it really doesn't feel like a big deal at all. As I type this, I have three woolies wrapped up in towels to dry.




I used to include a full-page sheet in the package with every wool order, but I stopped doing that for two reasons:

1) I know that many people who are ordering wool already have their wool care method down and don't need that information

2) I'm always trying to strive for being as eco-friendly as possible. I figure if people are ordering items online, that means they can just as easily be directed to the blog to find the information on how to care for their Ducktail wool, and print it off if needed. That way paper isn't wasted if one prefers to just look online!

One difference with the wool you can purchase at my shop is that it is all "felted" to some degree. This means that I've washed and dried on hot, shrinking the sweater and also "binding" the wool fibers together to make a better waterproof layer. What this also means is if you accidentally (or hey, even on purpose!) wash it in the washing machine, it's highly likely that you won't have ruined/shrunken the item. This isn't a washing routine that I endorse, but if you find it works for you - more power to you!

Without further ado, here is the document that I've previously sent out, that I'm now posting for all to see, and the routine that I personally follow to care for my wool. For those wondering, I use Eucalan Wool Wash  (Eucalyptus scent) and Lansinoh Lanolin, but you can feel free to use your own favorites.


No comments:

Post a Comment